Manuel Cargaleiro (EN version)
Manuel Cargaleiro was born March 16th 1927 in Portugal, in the Province of Castelo Branco, more precisely Chao das Servas, Vila Velha de Ròdão. He started early to work with clay and paint. In 1957 he moved to France, where he received numerous public commissions from the Ministry of Culture of the French Republic, beginning in the seventies, including an installation in the Champs-Elysées Clemenceau metro station in Paris in 1995.
Nevertheless he continued to maintain a strong bond with his homeland and in 1983 in Lisbon he created the tiles for the facade of the Franco-Portuguese Institute, and in 1987 the Colegio Militar-Luz station.
He was awarded the dual appointment as Commander of Santiago da Espada by the President of the Republic of Portugal (1982) and Officier des Arts et des Lettres by the French Government (1984).
In 1990, he established the “Manuel Calgaleiro” Foundation in Lisbon, whose construction project was designed by Alvaro Siza. His presence in Italy began in 1999 when he was awarded the “Journey through Ceramics” International Award in Vietri sul Mare.
The Portuguese artist was extremely fascinated by the artistic fervor of that territory which, in the intervening two decades between the wars, was a crossroads of different cultures and artistic languages, and so decided to stay and work here from time to time during his artistic career.
In Vietri sul Mare, the artist has transfered a rich collection of works he has produced over the years, including plates, sculptures, ceramic tiles and panels which, along with those of Italian and foreign artists he has collected, make up the core of the “Manuel Cargaleiro” Museum of Industrial Art, located until December 2010 in the historic Palace of the Carosino Dukes, Vietri.
The new museum is now under construction in the historic halls and gardens of Villa de Ruggiero in Nocera Superiore (Salerno), already the seat of the exhibition of the Applied Arts Collection (RAP) of the Province of Salerno.